Micropipette calibration is a critical process in scientific laboratories that involves verifying and adjusting the accuracy of micropipettes. These precision instruments are commonly used to measure and transfer small volumes of liquids in fields such as molecular biology, biochemistry, and microbiology. The importance of micropipette calibration cannot be overstated, as it ensures accurate and reliable liquid handling, consistency in experimental results, quality control, cost reduction, compliance with standards, and the longevity of pipettes.
The patent for “NERO micropipette,” the newest product from Microlit and winner of the India Design Mark 2021 award, has been obtained for its distinctive calibration system, the UniCal™ technology, which enables fast in-lab calibration in a single operation without disengaging the digits from the plunger mechanism.
What is UniCal™ Technology?
The process of calibration is a common issue for users of micropipettes. Re-calibrating the instrument takes a significant amount of time and effort, especially when there is a large difference between the current volume setting and the desired volume setting. To have their instruments re-calibrated, labs frequently contact a third-party calibration lab.
In the Microlit NERO, the most notable difference is its calibrating mechanism, UniCal™ technology. This unique calibration mechanism enables quick in-lab calibration in a single operation without disengaging the digits from the plunger mechanism. A Microlit calibration tool helps in the configuration of the micropipette to achieve desired accuracy and precision. The tool engages the plunger, calibration nut, and pipette digits and can be used to configure the pipette without disassembling or disengaging the digits of the micropipette.
Advantages of UniCal™ Technology for Calibration
The existing methods for re-calibrating micropipettes can be laborious and time-consuming, particularly when adjusting the volume setting from its current value to a desired value (measured by dispensing liquid into a container weighed by an analytical balance). For instance, in the case of conventional micropipettes:
- Many calibration procedures involve trial-and-error methods, requiring users to match markers on the pipette with a chart in an instructional manual. This process is time-consuming and can be frustrating.
- Some calibration procedures necessitate the disassembly of specific components of the pipette, adding complexity and further extending the time required for the procedure.
- The current time-consuming and complex nature of pipette calibration often compels users to send their pipettes to third-party facilities for expensive and lengthy re-calibration, even for minor adjustments.
Therefore, the existing methods of micropipette re-calibration demand extensive time and effort, presenting challenges when significant adjustments in volume settings are needed. These limitations call for more efficient and user-friendly calibration mechanisms to enhance the overall calibration process.
Unical™ Technology brings a range of merits and advantages to the field of micropipette calibration. This innovative approach revolutionizes the calibration process, offering improved convenience, cost savings, and enhanced user experience. By eliminating the drawbacks of traditional calibration methods, Unical™ Technology sets a new standard for accuracy, efficiency, and ease of use.
- The Unical™ calibration method eliminates the inconvenience of the Hit-and-trial calibration approach.
- It saves both time and cost by eliminating the need to send the instrument to an external facility for third-party calibration.
- It allows the user to re-calibrate without having to disassemble any components, disengage the plunger digits, or match calibration markers on the micropipette to the volume adjustment chart in the user manual.
To know more about the features and functionality of Microlit NERO and its Unical™ Technology, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website https://www.microlit.us/product-category/ergonomic-micropipettes/.