A properly calibrated pipette is an accurate and precise instrument in the hands of a skilled user. However, like with any precise device, the incorrect technique can have a negative impact on test results.
The following steps need to follow for correct pipetting:
- Set the volume on the pipette.
- Depress the pipette plunger.
- Immerse the tip to the correct depth, which can vary by pipette and tip, and let the plunger rest.
- Wait for one second for the liquid to flow into the tip.
- Hold the pipette at 10-45° against the wall of the receiving chamber, and gently press the plunger to the first stop.
- Wait for a second and then push the plunger to the second stop.
- Slide the tip to the wall of the vessel to remove the pipette.
- Allow the plunger to return to the resting position.
It is recommended to use the original or branded tips along with the micropipette.